Monthly Archives: March 2014

Hiccup Solved/More Progress Made!

This week’s task was to discover if my the same words remained as important as the conversation progressed.  I have now transcribed fifteen minutes into the conversation. So there was more progress made in that sense, but I had a hiccup as I was attempting to upload my document again onto Overview.  Thanks to their help, as well as Dr Graham’s I tried in Firefox instead of Safari and it worked just fine.

As I predicted in my last post regarding Tags, the words Humanities, Libraries, and Technology continued to be important. New words appeared in the important words section as well though such as, media and publicly.

This coming week I hope to look further into these tags and see what I find.

Until next time…

Progression… Slowly But Surely

I have now looked through more of the conversation and it is interesting to be reminded of the topics that were discussed. for example, and whether or not it is ok for someone to profit off of information that we are allowed to access publicly.  They just benefit though by making this information more accessible.

This is becoming a major concern of the conversation.  Who tracks the location of this information, or any information like it for that matter, once it is released on to the internet. Is it a bad thing to profit off of it? Or is this just a way of making the information more to those who don’t know how to get at it via other means?

Listening to it again is a great deal of fun and will move it on to Overview soon but was having difficulty getting my file uploaded today for some reason.  I will have to take a closer look, it will probably turn out to be something minute like last time but we shall see.

Until next time…

TAG! You’re it!

After a stupidly long and unsuccessful effort of solving my previous problem I decided to seek advice from Dr Graham.  Of course when I came to his office he solved my problem within seconds.  The reason, it turns out, that Overview was not reading my file was that I had an additional, unneeded, blank space in the top column after the word ‘text’.  BLAST!!!

The good news is that I am now on to bigger and more important things, putting Overview to use and analyzing the conversation itself.  I have only looked at the first ten minutes of audio but already I have begun to see a pattern.  Overview has helped me see the most commonly used word in the file, that word being ‘digital’.  It then follows this word, and other words that it sees less frequently, for example ‘humanities’, ‘library’ and ‘technology’, through the conversation by separating them into separate files.  I took a screen shot (see below) so that you can understand more clearly.

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 3.15.20 PM Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 3.46.51 PM
As you can see, Overview takes the ‘tag’ that you give a word and shows you where that tag appears throughout.  In this shot it follows the tag ‘Humanities’.  While in the second it follows the primary tag of the conversation ‘Digital’.  My suspicion is that the words, ‘humanities’, ‘library’ and ‘technology’, that the program has seen less often, may become primary words in the conversation as it goes on.  Other secondary words that it found though such as ‘example’ and ‘two’ will most likely remain in that category.
Stay tuned to see if my suspicions are indeed correct!